2023 MSU Drumline Auditions
Help Sessions for 2023 will be announced at the end of the 2022 season. More information can be found on the help session page.
Auditions for the 2023 MSU Drumline will be announced by the end of the 2022 season. There are two audition dates; typically these are Saturdays in late April or in May. Students need to attend both of these dates.
All students auditioning should be able to play the exercises for his/her instrument on the exercises page. The exercises may be updated before the audition, so please check that page often. Please also look at the technique information which is linked on the bottom of the exercises page. This information will give an overview of approach to technique, notation, and other pertinent information. There is some copyrighted music on the audition as well. To ensure you receive this copyrighted music and all of the audition materials, please fill out the Help Session Form link above.
If you are interested in auditioning for the MSU Drumline, please feel free to contact Jon Weber at email@example.com. You are welcome to observe a rehearsal in the fall and meet Dr. Weber or any of the members of the drumline. We would be happy to meet you!
Notes about Auditioning for the MSU Drumline
* We encourage you to audition on the instrument you would most like to play! Dr. Weber and the section leaders will do our best to help you achieve your goal.
* Instrument auditions are separate. A strong audition on snare does not relate to cymbals; anyone who earns a cymbal position must do so based on a cymbal audition.
* Bass drummers, please choose a drum and audition for that drum. We may move you based on what works best for the section as a whole. We will evaluate your audition on how well you play the drum your prepared. Please feel free to contact Dr. Weber on which drum might make the most sense for you.
* Returning members do not have a guaranteed position for the following year. It is possible for an incoming student to earn a position over a returning member. However, this is rare.
* Please do not hesitate to ask for feedback! This could be help sessions, videos, email questions, etc.
* Our goal is to have fun achieving excellence. Relax and enjoy the experience as much as you can!
* In the first round audition, you will play with your section all day. Every incoming student will play an individual audition for Dr. Weber and the appropriate section leader. We will give you feedback on where you stand in the audition process, things you did well, and how you can improve. Our goal is to make this enjoyable and educational!
* In the second round audition, you will play in the section / drumline. We will be evaluating your performance in the ensemble. We will announce the 2022 MSU Drumline at the end of the audition!